When you contact my community office, my staff and I will do everything we can to assist. Your confidentiality is respected at all times. To give you a better idea of how we can help, please review the following information.
What my Community Office can help you with:
- Provide information on locating government services and contact information
- Assist in understanding government policies and services
- Assist in navigating through government bureaucracy
- Provide advice and support to ensure due process is being followed
- Refer you to appropriate services and agencies
- Attend community events
- Accept practicum students
- Provide congratulatory and greeting messages
- Provide government documents, legislation discussion papers and other web-based forms if you don’t have internet access
- Resolve issues you may be having with provincial ministries or agencies. However, by law, there are some things we cannot help you with.
We can help you if:
- You are a resident of Kootenay West and,
- Your matter is with the provincial government.
Unfortunately, we cannot help you if:
- You have or need to retain a lawyer to represent you pertaining to your case;
- Your matter is pending before the courts
- Your matter has already been decided by the courts
- The police are involved. We cannot make inquiries about police investigations or get involved in any police matters. All RCMP concerns should be directed to the federal MP’s office. If you have a complaint about municipal police conduct , please direct them to the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner.
We are unable to:
- Offer legal advice or assist with legal action
- Overturn the decision of any provincial government ministry or body
- Influence processes set up in law to be independent of the Legislature –such as Ombudsman, Police Complaints Commissioner, Representative for Child and Youth, professional and others.
- Interfere in internal decisions or processes of other agencies and organizations
- Change the time limits for filing appeals
- Take on casework that is federal or municipal in nature, or outside of provincial jurisdiction
- Interfere with federal or municipal issues
- Settle disputes between businesses, neighbours, or other civil disputes
- Find constituents housing (you will be referred to agencies that may be able to help)
- Find constituents employment (you will be referred to agencies that may be able to help)
Ministerial duties of the MLA:
Katrine Conroy is also the Minister of Forests. MLAs who are also Ministers are by law not permitted to conduct their ministry business at constituency offices. Many Forestry inquiries by Kootenay West constituents can be answered by constituency staff. However, meetings, complex issues, and inquiries from non-constituents will be referred to her Ministry staff in Victoria.
Katrine Conroy is also the Minister responsible for the Columbia River Treaty, Columbia Basin Trust, and Columbia Power Corporation. However, these are independent organizations with their own decision-making structures. Many inquiries about these organizations by Kootenay West constituents can be answered by constituency staff. However, meetings, complex issues, and inquiries from non-constituents will be redirected to those organizations.