When you contact my community office, my staff and I will do everything we can to assist. Your confidentiality is respected at all times. To give you a better idea of how we can help, please review the following information.
What my Community Office can help you with:
- Provide information on locating government services and contact information
- Assist in understanding government policies and services
- Assist in navigating through government bureaucracy
- Ensure due process is being followed
- Attend community events
- Accept practicum students
- Provide congratulatory and greeting messages
- Provide government documents, legislation discussion papers and other web-based forms if you don’t have internet access
- Resolve issues you may be having with provincial ministries or agencies. However, by law, there are some things we cannot help you with.
We can help you if:
- You are a resident of Kootenay West and,
- Your matter is with the provincial government.
Unfortunately, we cannot help you if:
- You have or need to retain a lawyer to represent you pertaining to your case;
- Your matter is pending before the courts.
- The police are involved. We cannot make inquiries about police investigations or get involved in any police matters. All RCMP concerns should be directed to the federal MP’s office. If you have a complaint about municipal police conduct , please direct them to the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner.
We are unable to:
- Offer legal advice or assist with legal action
- Overturn the decision of any provincial government ministry or body
- Influence processes set up in law to be independent of the Legislature –such as Ombudsman, Police Complaints Commissioner, Representative for Child and Youth, professional and other
- Change the time limits for filing appeals
- Take on casework that is federal or municipal in nature
- Interfere with federal or municipal issues
- Settle disputes between businesses or neighbours
- Find constituents housing
- Find constituents employment