“Mitzi Dean has devoted her career to justice, fairness and support for the most vulnerable. She is uniquely qualified to promote gender equity and the advancement of women in her new role as Parliamentary Secretary for Gender Equity,” Premier Horgan said.
Dean will serve under the direction of Minister of Finance Carole James and has the following responsibilities:
- ensuring gender equity is reflected in government budgets, policies and programs;
- co-ordinating cross-government action on gender issues, including gender violence, gender equality and women’s economic empowerment;
- tracking progress on the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women;
- liaising with feminist and women’s organizations; and
- promoting gender equity and leadership at senior levels in the public and private sector.